About Destination Kenya
Destination Kenya Facts and General Travel Guide
Surface area: 581,309 km2 (224,445 sq. mi)
Population: approximately 48 million people in January 2017
Major Cities: Nairobi, Mombasa, and Kisumu
National colors: Black, White, Red, and Green.
Time Zone: GMT +3:00
Lowest Point: Indian Ocean (0 m)
Highest Point: Mt. Kenya (5,199m)
Currency: Kenya Shillings (Kshs)
Telephone code: +254
Internet code: .co.ke
Electricity: 220/240V AC and 3-Square pin and 2-pin plugs.
Extremities and bordering countries
Transport Modes in Kenya
Public transport buses for major cities and long distances.
Share taxis services (Uber, Taxify and Little Cab).
Tricycles (TUK TUK) and Motorcycles (Boda Bodas) in cities and upcountry.
Matatus (Buses for cities and intercity transport).
Since June 2017, Rift valley railways introduced an express train between Nairobi and Mombasa city. This train runs daily from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm. There is also a commuter train that serves passengers from the city center to the respective city settlements.
- Commuter train within Nairobi County
- Daily Express train (SGR Madaraka Express train) between Nairobi and Mombasa Counties
- Intercounty train serving different Counties in Kenya (This project is still underway).
Kenya has airstrips, major airports and international airports which include:
- International airports: Jomo Kenyatta international airport in Nairobi, Eldoret international Airport in Eldoret and Moi international airport in Mombasa.
- Major airports: Kisumu airport in Kisumu, Isiolo airport in Isiolo town and Wilson airport in Nairobi.
- Airstrips: There are over 250 airstrips countrywide
Major Airlines Operating from Kenya to other world destinations.
There are many international flights departing from and arriving at different airports in Nairobi, Most of them operate from Jomo Kenyatta International airport. Currently, there is a direct flight from Nairobi to the United States of America.
Estimated flying time from Nairobi and the best time to travel to different destinations
This mode of transport is mainly used on the Kenyan coast (Likoni ferry services) from Mombasa to South coast and on Lake Victoria.
Our Pick For Best Travel Destinations and Attractions in Kenya
Lakes and Mountains
The country has a number of lakes and mountains which include:
Mountains: Mt. Kenya and Mt. Elgon
Lakes: Nakuru, Naivasha, Baringo, Bogoria, Victoria, Turkana, and Natron
Top Attractions Within Nairobi City
Safari, Wildlife, Game Drive, and Parks
- Maasai Mara and Serengeti
- Hell’s Gate National Park
- Samburu National Reserve
- Tsavo West National Park
- Tsavo East National Park
- Nairobi National Park
- Amboseli National Park
- Mombasa Marine Park
- Watamu Marine National park
- Arabuko Sokoke National Park
- Malindi Marine National Park
- Shimba Hills National Park
- Haller Park
- Mount KenyaNational Park
- Mount Elgon National Park
Top Destinations and Attractions Along the Kenyan Coast
Best places to go Hiking, Trekking and Nature Walks
Do you have any Questions about Destination Kenya? Would want to travel with a private local tour guide in Nairobi? Feel free to Contact Us.